Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Race Report: Joules CX

It was really interesting to race cx out of town, against a field of women I knew little to nothing about.  The course was much different from what we typically see locally.  It was basically a large field with wild grass.  The course was mowed into it, the only stakes/tape was at the "spiral of death."  They also had a warm up track, with practice barriers, prepared.  It was a warm, windy day, about 70 degrees at race time.  I decided to race masters 30+ since I would not be able to make the whole CXstitch 3/4 series--so points in the series didn't matter to me.  I got a good warm up in and put a few efforts into it.  I wasn't riding my normal race wheels so I want to make sure I knew how these would handle.  I also did a practice lap of the course immediately prior to our race. 

The course started on a straight into the wind.  It curved left to a gentle downhill switch back.  After a hard left, hard right there was a short steep downhill with a wide 180 and a short steep uphill.  From there it curved around with a gentle uphill to the barriers.  After the barriers it curved a few times, climbing gently to the "spiral of death."  Basically  you went round and round to the apex of the spiral and back out.  From the spiral there was a long downhill section with a turn at the end that took you right back up.  From there we went back to the front section of the course where it wound a bit to the start/finish.

My prize & medal!  
There were four women's races being held concurrently (3/4, 30+, 40+, 50+).  We started in 30 second increments.  The three master's fields went first.  We got the whistle and I jumped hard.  I wanted the whole shot.  One lady got ahead of me but I went after her wheel.  She pulled away from me at the steep little uphill, and I got passed by another lady at the barriers.  I could see Cory staying pretty close to me.  She's racing really well this year, so I knew that I needed to push myself to stay away from her.  My chest was on fire when I went through the start/finish and saw three on the lap card.  The second lap went well and I was expanding my gap on the master's field.  During the third lap, I got passed by the 3/4 leader.  I made it to the spiral of death and was great until I hit the center of it.  I wasn't looking where I wanted to go and ended up running smack in the pole at the center.  I jumped up and got back on, but got passed by three girls in the meantime.  I went hard to increase my gap on the master's ladies behind me.  I got the bell and headed back out on course.  I was a little more careful in the spiral this time and made it through without a problem and finished strong.  I ended up first in the 30+ and 7th overall I believe.

Sunday's course was longer than Saturday's...it had some of the same features, but had some rocky, mountain-bikish downhill sections.  We headed out for a warm up lap and I was climbing a little steep hill.  I took off gear and just began spinning wildly--I originally thought I'd dropped my chain.  I hopped off the the bike and my chain was dragging the ground.  I shouldered the bike and went up the pit, but my field was already on the line getting instructions . . . and no one had a chain tool . . . and they kept telling me I needed a special chain tool for a Campy chain.  I was disappointed because it was basically the same field.  I would have loved to try to take them on again.  And it really annoys me the results show DNF instead of DNS.

No comments:

Post a Comment