Friday, October 28, 2011

Race Report: Bubba at the Fort #3

I started my warm up a little early on Sunday . . . I accompanied the lead vehicle for the Rock N Roll marathon on my cx bike.  I got to ride the course, work on dismounts/remounts while moving cones and barriers,and sprinting to catch up to the lead vehicle.  It was a fun way to be involved in the race.


I went straight from the marathon to the cx race at Fort Bellefountaine.  It was a beautiful day, sunny in the 70s.  The course was physically, but not technically, challenging.  It was about 1.3 miles in length. This is Mike Bobelak's video of the race course.  Bumpy, tall grass, and hilly sum it up well.




I warmed up about 20 minutes before our race, just getting my legs loose again.  We got the whistle and I got the hole shot.  That didn't last long though.  Britta, Cat, and Teresa all passed me before the officials' table and the grass.  This time I didn't let them go though. I stayed right up on Teresa's wheel until we got to the long climb.  I was able to move around her at the point.  She stayed with me until the barriers, but the three of us gapped her on the run up afterwards.  Lap 2 and 3 I stayed with Britta and Cat.  I had to really talk myself through it because I was working hard.  It was the long climb on Lap 3 where I passed Cat.  Again I focused on staying with Britta instead of looking back at Cat.  I was right on Britta's wheel until the long climb in the 4th lap.  My right quad started screaming at me and I eased up a little and lost her wheel.  She was able to put daylight in between us there.  I pushed through the rest of that lap and the final one, holding on to 2nd place.

I had a few handling mishaps, mostly trying to take some corners too hot or choosing a poor line.  I held the bike up though and didn't make the same mistakes twice.  It's also feeling easier to make myself suffer, if that makes sense. 

I still get nervous when I'm in front of people.  I refuse to look and see how close they are.  *Photo credit:  Dennis Fickinger

So happy our cx order came in . . . Mich Dark skin suit! *Photo credit: Dennis Fickinger

No comments:

Post a Comment