Sunday, August 7, 2011

Race Day Prep

I think most competitive athletes have "race day" rituals--those little things you do to get ready to compete.  They help you get in the right frame of mind and make sure you have everything you need.  When I was a runner, it was usually having my clothes laid out the night before, a half cup of coffee and half of a peanut butter sandwich. I'd head to the race, get my number and pin on, pee twice and be ready to run.

When I was a Cat 4 racers, it was very similar.  Most Cat 4 races are early . . . I think because promoters know that it's typically only family or friends who come out to watch.  I would get up and eat (usually a bagel or oatmeal), have several cups of coffee and head out the door.  Because bike racing is a gear heavy sport, I have a "race bag". So besides throwing in a clean kit, my bag was always race ready.  I would try to get to the venue 90 minutes before my start time.  That gave me enough time to get my number and pin on, put my bike together, kit up and warm up before going to the line.  And usually, I would be home by noon.

Then I upgraded or "catted up".  Now I race with a group I lovingly refer to as the big girls.  There are so few women racing, as compared to men, three of our categories are grouped into one.  So although I'm only a Cat 3 racer, I race with typically much faster, stronger, Category 1 & 2 racers.  And because we're the women's "main event" we typically go right before the Men's Pro/1/2 race.  That means an afternoon start time.  I've been trying to adjust to this change for five months now and still don't feel like I've found my groove.

The first thing you need to know is that I'm a morning person.  Weekdays typically start at 4AM and weekends at 5AM.  I like to get my stuff done before lunch, whether that be chores, working out or racing.  I like to go shopping or veg after lunch.  On race days, I don't know what to do with myself.  I get up and coffee and breakfast.  While I consider sleeping in (today I stayed in bed till 6:30!), having two little early risers who start kissing and tickling me by 5:30 doesn't bode well for such a luxury.  I typically figure out what time I need to leave to get to the race on time.  Now I've got to factor in finding a spot to park because that spots are typically near full by the time I get there.  I may start a little laundry, check Facebook and Twitter, and start driving myself nuts.  I think of stuff I'd like to do, but probably shouldn't pre-race.  I wander aimlessly around my house.  I check on my kids while they play, go back to Facebook and Twitter, and generally get disgruntled because I want to get the race over with.  I need to leave today by 10:45 to get the kids to my mom's and get to the venue on time.  My bike is already on the car, my bag is sitting by the front door.  All I have left to do is to let the dogs out one more time and put my bottles in the cooler.  I have to eat a second time, because my breakfast won't sustain me until my 1:45 start time.  And finding something that doesn't screw with my digestion or make me want to puke when covering the first surge is tricky.

I'm sure with time, and growing kids who learn to sleep till 9AM will help.  Until then I need to find TV better than "Meet the Press" or find a low energy hobby to entertain me as I wait and pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment