Friday, August 12, 2011

Just Close Your Eyes

I love back to school time.  As a perpetual student, I get giddy when the school supply displays go up at Target.  I get nostalgic about riding my bike up to the junior high or high school to get my class schedule and decorate my locker.  It's so, so much fun. And then to think back about the start of school when I was in college!  That meant sorority rush, parties, after hours, and football games.  Oh yeah, and class too!
I think I had a pretty unique "get ready for college" experience.  When I applied to University of Illinois and then signed my acceptance letter, it was sight unseen.  I had never been to campus.  I had been to my second tier schools--Illinois Wesleyan, ISU, and Western.  But I had never set foot in Champaign-Urbana.  That didn't matter to me.  It was the best public university in the state and that's where I decided to go.  I made it to campus that spring, but by that time, the decision was made.

You see, my parents didn't go to college.  My brothers took some classes at the community college, but never went to a four year school.  I think Mom and Dad realized I would get my degree, but in their mind probably pictured BAC, followed by SIUE.  I know they knew I applied; they had to write the checks to go with the applications.  But I think they assumed when it came down to it, I'd stay home.  So when the housing and financial aid forms came, I filled them out myself as best as I could.  I had some help because my cousin was going as well.  She and I had decided to be roommates and her parents had taken her on all the college visits.  I at least knew which dorms to put on my list. 

Eventually orientation weekend arrived.  My parents and I went to campus and I think that's when it finally hit them that it was a done deal.  I was going to school at a campus three hours away with 30,000 other kids.  Plus I was rushing a sorority.  I'm sure they wondered who put all these ideas in my head and how were they going to pay for it.  I remember the thought hitting me that weekend, "What the hell have I done?"  I only know about six people here.  The campus is larger than my hometown.  The dorms aren't air conditioned.  And the big one, these kids are smarter than me--I'm going to have to study. *GULP*

I've done that many times in my life, forged ahead with a plan with full realization of what the consequences may be.  In other words, closed my eyes, jumped and prayed for a big splash or soft landing.  Sometimes my prayers were answered, and sometimes it was a bellyflop or broken ankle.  But I can honestly say, I've never regretted it.  Sure, if I had taken time to think things through I may have avoided some heartache, tears or wasted money.  I would have also missed once in a lifetime experiences, great friends, and stories that I tell over and over again.  I believe in dealing with the consequences of my actions rather than agonizing over what might have been.  I love the quote that's been floating around the interwebs for years:
Dance like nobody's watching
Love like you've never been hurt
Sing like nobody's listening
Live like it's heaven on earth.
Life is too short to live with regrets and missed opportunities.  Make your opportunities happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment