Monday, March 29, 2010

It was a "Great Forest Park Bike Race"

My mood for the first crit of the year was as foul as the weather. Last season I got myself into a rhythm and routine for race prep. I look at my start time, account for registration, warm up, and drive plus give myself an hour of wake up time and that’s my magic formula. With that in mind, the alarm was set for five and the coffee pot was set to grind. Klucker was good enough to pack the car the night before, but whenever I add him and the mini-Kluckers into the mix, I should know things won’t be executed as planned. We left the house ten minutes later than my schedule and trying to guide Klucker, Mr. “I know every road in St. Louis”, around Forest Park without injuring his male pride made us get to the event only thirty minutes prior to start. I headed to registration only to find out they weren’t ready. I took the chance for a quick potty break and grabbed my bike for some warm up. As I headed out, I saw reg was open so I made the stop. I completed my lap and took the checkbook back to the truck. Sam decided he needed to register at that exact moment. I pinned on my number and put on my jersey and rain jacket and waited. 7:54 he comes back to the truck—crabby because I was impatient.

I took two more laps on the course before stopping to talk to a teammate. She decided not to race today because of the weather and injury, and frankly I couldn’t blame her. 41 degrees, rain and wind were not my idea of a good time. I turned around and headed back to the line to wait for the start. They was going to be eight of us in the field this morning. I knew five of the other girls and had raced against them in some form or another. We got our pre-race instructions from Buddy and we were off.

The race was quick off the line and I pushed myself to make sure I was up close to the front. With the wind we were going to hit on the back side of the course, I didn’t want to lead, but I also knew if I got too close to the back I would chance falling off. Kate was leading our pack for the beginning of the race. She was setting a fast tempo. I could hear Steph yell at her when we went by to move back and let someone else work. For the first 15 minutes or so, the field was led by Kate, Trish (one of the girls I didn’t know), Cory, and me. Kate began her attacks around that point. Each time she went off, I made sure I had her wheel. No way I was getting left behind. Kate and I have trained enough together that I know how strong she is. I knew if she got away from me, I was a goner.

We were about 20 minutes in when the bell rang for the prime. I had made up my mind to stay up front, but not to blow myself up going for it. I did that in Soulard last year and wouldn’t make the same mistake twice. My plan was to hold close to the front and attack after the prime sprint. I watched my position and stayed second or third through the lap. As we turned the corner on the front straightaway, I pulled up next to Kate. I kept trying to watch for her to twitch and sprint for the prime, but she didn't go. About 50 meters from the line, I revved up my cadence and pulled ahead and took it. Kate stayed on my wheel, as did Trish. That move began to break the pack apart. From the pictures, I think our group was down to five at that point: Kate, Cory, Susan, Trish and me.

By the time we hit the back straight, we had a small gap. I let Kate take the lead as we moved to turn 4 and held on her to wheel. When we got the five laps to go, Kate turned it on and tried to attack off the front. Trish went with her and I was up and on Trish's wheel. That move took care of Cory. I don’t know when we lost Susan, but it was somewhere in there as well. We were back together in a small group by Turn 1 and I moved to the front to slow us down. I didn't really want to pull, but I knew I need some recovery time and wouldn’t get that with the pace Kate sets. When we got to Turn 4 I could hear Carrie and Teresa yelling at me to get off the front and let someone else work. I wasn't quite ready to let them ramp up the pace yet though. I pulled through the next lap. At three to go, I slowed way down. Trish pulled around me and I looked at Kate and winked. We let her pull us through. I stayed tight on her wheel no matter how much she tried to shake me. I know by the looks she gave me, she was annoyed that I wouldn’t come around. I got the "way to race smart" from the girls on those last few laps. We got to the bell lap and I was trying to decide when to make my move. When we hit turn 2 and moved the windy backside, I added some gear. About halfway through the back stretch, I ramped up the cadence and pulled off. I glanced back at turn 3 and saw Kate was with me. I knew she wouldn't give up without a fight, but Trish was off the back—mission accomplished! We rounded the last turn to the front straight and I heard Kate add gear. I tried to hold her off, but she took first by about a bike length. Her sprint once again took me! I would have loved the first to compliment the prime, but I love Kate did well. That girl has been training hard and smart!

No comments:

Post a Comment