Sunday, January 15, 2012

CX Worlds

Yesterday I went down to the park early to get a look at course. It was under 20 degrees and the course was frozen solid. There were lots of deep ruts, and the sand was frozen hard enough to make it completely rideable. Finding a line in the course was tough because if you got caught in a rut, it took your wheel. The best ploy was to zig zag back and forth.

I stuck around and watch the women's races. Lots of ladies went down hard. I was watching near the pit and saw several of them take a big bite of the metal fencing. At that point, the only bike exchanges were for broken equipment from crashes. At noon, the course opened again and I went out for another lap. The conditions changed significantly in that short time. The top layer of ground "melted" do there was a layer of slimy mud, but still frozen ruts below. The crab grass was getting mixed in with the mud, making it clog everything up.

After cleaning up the bike, I went to get some food and warm up before going back to watch the boys race. We had four Big Sharks down for the races. Chris Harre finished 44th and Trent Donat was 50th in their race. Josh Johnson was 15th and Matt Davidson 32nd in their race. By the end of Josh and Matt's race the course was trashed.

Louisville got less than an inch of snow last night and it got down under 20 again, so I imagine the course will be frozen for morning races again. It's supposed to be in the high 30s by the time I race. I decided to skip this morning's pre-ride because it won't be the same course by the time I race. I'll take a lap at noon and see what it brings. Matt and Lauren are sticking around to cheer, Michelle made the trip from Dallas, and Steven is in the pit with SRAM, so I'll have lots of additional support.

No comments:

Post a Comment