Sunday, May 22, 2011

Race Report: O'Fallon Gold Cup

Well, I could spin the story really well and tell you I finished 6th, but that result doesn't really tell the full story.

It was beautiful weather, sunny, low 80s, some humidity and wind.  The course started on a hill and was constantly rolling, with the majority of the uphill on the front side and the backside being primarily downhill.  There was only one true turn with the course being more of a loop.  There were six of us in the race, all local (Carrie, Chris, Emily, Jamie, Teresa and me).  We got instructions and the whistle and I couldn't get clipped in.  I think I freak myself on uphill starts worrying about this situation, thus causing it to happen.  I chased half of the first lap to get back on with the group.  Less than a minute later, Carrie attacked and off we went.  We came back together as a group at the start/finish and another attack went.  It took me till the turn, but I got back on with the group.  We got the prime bell at the end of lap three and the pace immediately accelerated.  We slowed a bit on the back side, but as we headed to the hill on the finish, the sprint took off.  I knew I didn't have it in me to contest the prime, but I tried to hang with the group to no avail.  I was gapped.  Teresa was with me.  We rode together for two laps before admitting we weren't going to catch them.  She and I began trading pulls each lap.  About 23 minutes in the pace moto was behind us at the start/finish and I heard the announcer say that Jamie had gotten dropped on the last attack, so she was off the back as well.  If I have one regret from this race, it's that Teresa and I didn't pick up the pace then to go after her.  On the beginning of the next lap, we got lapped by the three leaders.  We jumped in with them.  The next time around there was another prime.  We held with them until the sprint and they were off and out of site again.  The next time around was five to go.  Teresa and I continued to take turns pulling and agreed to not sprint each other for 5th and 6th. 

I'm not sure why I wasn't able to race a stronger race.  My heart rate felt really high when I was reacting to the attacks.  And I know having such a small field really increases the work load.  My legs felt fine through the race and on my ride Saturday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment