Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Pain of the Pursuit

Last summer my first “group ride” ever was with a small group of women about two weeks before the WG crit. We met one Saturday morning and basically did the Hub ride. That ride stands out to me because my friend Stephanie said something to me as we did our last climb (don’t ask me where because I was so turned around by that point I was dizzy) that really has resonated with me and stayed in my head, “This route is great because the hills challenge you but you forget how painful they are as soon as you’re done.” For a girl who sometimes has trouble getting her words out the way she wants, she nailed this one!

Fast forward to last week, my buddy Kate and I were chatting about racing and effort. She remarked about “the amount of suffering in the sport.” I made a flippant remark about soaring heart rate, but in my head I was thinking, “Suffering? Sure I work hard, but It isn’t that bad.”
Fast forward to last night. I walk into our team meeting and several folks were looking at photos from Sunday’s race. Amy said, “There she is. Show Suzanne that photo.”


My "race face"--Photo cred: Dave Nelson
And there it was. It all came crashing back. The searing pain in my quads, the pounding of my heart, the sickeningly sweet taste of the Gatorade as it threatened to rise up. I suffered. Racing hurt. My self-talk from the race started coming back like flashes from a drunken evening. I remember telling myself, “She’s not going to get you twice.” and “There are only three laps to go. A body can endure anything for six minutes.” And from the Open race, “Pain is temporary, money buys new shoes.” followed by “you can’t let them catch up to you…that would really suck.” Then I remember talking to Sandy right after the 4 race and not being able to do more than just shake my head because I was afraid of what would come out if I opened my mouth.
Great Bob, Almighty! Why didn’t I remember all this before? Why do I do this to myself on a regular basis. Then Stephanie’s comment came to my head with a little adjustment—Racing is great because it challenges you but you forget how painful it is as soon as you’re done. How true that is! Although I think I’m going to make the picture my Facebook profile pic for a reminder and a motivator to train. Hmmm, maybe if I train harder it’ll hurt less??? hee, hee, hee *she giggles coyly*

No comments:

Post a Comment