Monday, April 26, 2010

All the Things I Missed

When I started as a school principal, a colleague of mine told me that the first she was completely overwhelmed. It was all she could do to keep her head above water and survive. Since she was in her third year as principal in that building, I asked her if it got any better. Her response was that the second year, you realize all those little things that you missed the first year.

That's a lot like bike racing to me. Last year, in most of my race, it was all I could do to survive. If I finished with the pack, it was by the sheer will, adrenaline and the grace of a higher power. This year it's as if a veil has been lifted. I see things I know I surely missed last year. I see tells of what racers are planning on doing. I notice when we work together as a pack or fight like a group of spoiled sorority girls. I hear gears being added and feel when someone is on my wheel.

I feel like a better racer this year. I know much of that has to do with increased off season training and fitness, but much of it has to do with being smart. Fitness is important, but being a smart racer is crucial. That being said, I'm close enough to last year to be humble as well. I know what it's like to barely make it through a race and I know the time is coming when I cat up and struggle all the more.

Racing is a never ending journey and not a smooth continuum. For every gain, I know pitfalls await. For each lesson learned, there are five more to come. I welcome the learning and the journey. I welcome the successes and failures along the way. Nothing in life is as simple as it seems. We might just ride around in circles, but there is an intricacy, a dance if you will, that is impromptu, just carefully choreographed. Just when you think you know it, a new step is added.

My years as a principal were filled with joy and heartache, success and failure, pride and shame. Each of those moments more important and valuable as the last. I'm sure my years of bike racing will be the same.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully put Suzanne! Thank you for putting my feelings into words.

    ReplyDelete